The Maryland Association of Floodplain and Stormwater Managers (MAFSM) was organized in 2004 by a group of private and public partners. The Association is organized exclusively for charitable, educational or scientific purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The purpose of MAFSM is to:
- Provide educational opportunities and dissemination of general and technical information to individuals concerned with sound floodplain and stormwater management,
- Promote public awareness of sound floodplain and stormwater management and the linkages between them,
- Encourage the exchange of information, ideas, experiences, etc., among the practitioners of floodplain and stormwater management,
- Promote the professional status of floodplain and stormwater managers,
- Inform and provide technical information relative to legislation pertinent and necessary to the effective implementation of sound floodplain and stormwater management practices, and
- Promote environmentally sound solutions to floodplain and stormwater problems.